Absorption of nutrition becomes less during mental stress:
Yes it is proved that during stress, absorption of nutritional values becomes less. At this time, the whole gastrointestinal track get irritated and function of major organs also gets disturbed. In mouth, less saliva, acidity produces excessively in stomach, duodenum shrinks, small and large intestines becomes hyperactive or hypoactive. Rectum also becomes inactive. Now you can understand that how much negative effect of stress is there.
Medi-Yoga has lot of meditative exercises to reduce these stress level through pawanmukt, shasank, shoulder stand, and bhujang asana. Ujjai and Anulom-Vilom pranayam is stress reducing. Chaitanya meditation is also good for reducing high stress level
Pavan mukt Asana –
Lie on your back. Take 5 to 10 deep breaths and relax .After that bend the right leg and lock your hands around it just bellow the knee .Take a deep breath, while exhaling, pull your knee towards your chest. Feel the buttocks and lower spine stretch. The thigh should touch the stomach .Hold this position for 5 seconds but do not hold the breath. Now straighten the leg inhaling at the same time and relax. Repeat it for the other leg. Do each leg ten times and do both legs together five times.
Target point- Lower back & abdomen become strong, digestive power is enhanced and gastric troubles are relieved.
Important point – Some times gastric troubles and intestinal disorders are the cause of backache.
Keep your hands on knees sit in vajrasana. Inhale and raise hand towards head. Now bend touching your forehead to the ground. Upper part and hands should be completely stretched breathe normal and hold it. But without raising hip from toes. Now inhale and bring hands and chest back to normal position and come in vajrasana.
while doing the asana if you feel pain in lumbar (back) or cervical region then do not hold it for long. It should be avoided in slip disk also.
Purpose. This asana is very beneficial for people having stiff spine. In this asana the whole spine is stretched and it is very relaxing technique.
Lie down on your stomach, rest your chin on your down turned hands. Your spine should be straight. Forehead should be relaxed. In this position now take a deep breath and inhaling raise your right leg straight as easily as you can .Hold it in this position holding the breath .Now bring the leg down, slowly exhaling at the same speed.
Repeat the same with the left leg. And after that do this with both legs. Repeat 10 times with each leg and 5 times with both legs.
To strengthen lumbar region. Coordination of disc and vertebrae. To bring the navel in alignment.
While lifting the leg there should be a strain in the navel region .At this point keep inhaling slowly in tandem with the speed of the leg that is being lifted.
At that moment breath should feel normal .If you have an acute back problem then don’t do this exercise with both legs for some time. Do not turn your neck sideways during exercise.
Repetition: repeat 10 times.
Bhujang asana (cobra pose)
This is one of the best asanas and prevents a lot of diseases. This is especially a panacea for an injured spine and all spinal problems.
Lie on the stomach with your legs together or little apart. The chin should touch the ground, so should each palm be in front of each shoulder, the hands pressing down. As you inhale, slowly raise your upper portion of the body just like a snake .Hold this position for a second holding the breath and then slowly return to your original position and exhale breath. Checkpoint:
Do not hold your breath for more than a second. Keep the elbow straight, roll the shoulders back, tilt the head back slightly and look up. Stay in this pose for 10 to 20 seconds. After you have practiced for several days and are able to do this comfortably you can increase the time for holding the pose.
You should be able to feel some stress on your spine, upper stomach and diaphragm. If anybody has had surgery in the lumber region, he/she should do this exercise with the legs apart.
Target muscle: upper stomach and hip muscles should be tightened while going up.
For slip disc patients this is the best remedy. It strengthens the lumbar region by increasing blood circulation, balancing our digestion and excretion. This activates our liver and kidneys. Diaphragm gets strengthened. It brings our breath into balance thus decreasing stress. The pituitary gland secretions are regulated and problems related to menstruation and other gynaecological problems are cured.
Repetition: Repeat 10 times.
Sarvanga Asana (shoulder stand)
The Sanskrit word sarva+anga means whole+body, The asana for complete body.
- Lie flat on the back. Inhale and exhale deeply and slowly and relax whole body.
- Now fold your both legs at knees, with support by your both hands (under hip and waist) raise lower part of the body and raise legs and spine until the toes point to the ceiling. Keeps the spine and legs straight. In this pose breathing should be normal, concentrate on neck and head.
- To come out of this posture, just bend your knees, curve your back and slowly return to lying on the floor while exhaling. First bend your knees, put the palms on the floor, then curving the spine, gradually unfold it the way one unrolls a carpet. When your entire back touches the floor, straighten the knees, take a deep breath and slowly lower your legs to the ground while breathing out.
- The main benefit of the shoulder stand is to get the thyroid gland working at peak efficiency. It’s the thyroid gland which is mainly responsible for your correct weight and youthful appearance.
- The shoulder stand also regulates the sex glands.
- It vitalizes the nerves, purifies the blood and promote good circulation, strengthens the lower organs and helps them to stay in place.
- It gives a healthy stretch to the neck muscles.
- It is beneficial for people suffering from poor circulation, constipation, indigestion, asthma and reduced virility.
- This pose is especially recommended for women after childbirth and for those suffering from painful menstruation, other female disorders, and seminal weakness.
It can be retain this position for fifteen seconds to five minutes, adding fifteen seconds per week.
Do not try this exercise if you are suffering from organic disorders of the thyroid gland. Be very cautious if you are suffering from high blood pressure, any major brain disease and chronic nasal catarrh.